Thursday, February 16, 2012

A middle of spring story.

It was sometime in March or April of 2010, Tina comes to my house as normal. Only on this day she brought a special treat with her. I woke up at about 9 that morning because we had big plans for a flower bed. I was the only one home that day, she comes through the door as I was coming out of the bath room. She said "Oh Jenny, Looky at what I got" She held up a bottle of scotch to be exact it was GlenLivet. I had never drank scotch before and didn't question where she got it.
I also had never drank in the daytime before either, she told me there was a first time for everything and headed out the door to walk Lady. We stopped off at the flower bed and she told me that she would love to have a flower bed of her own. She popped the top on the bottle and took a big shot. Then it was my turn, mind you I was only used to fruity drinks and had never had scotch in my mouth. I turned the bottle up and took as big a drink as she did. I ended up spitting it all over her. She busted out laughing, It was indeed the nastiest stuff I had ever tasted. She took another drink and told me she was going to get tipsy without me. She convinced me to try again but with a smaller drink and a chaser. I did just as she advised, It seemed to be a lot easier but boy did I ever hate it. We sat down to have one of our deep conversations and kept passing the bottle back and forth. About an hour had went by and she told me that she really wanted a flower bed and I told her that I would give her one of mine but she was in total control of it. She got to decide what flowers were in it and she had to keep it cleaned out and all that good stuff. I told her I would just sit back and watch unless she needed help. After a while she started telling me just how expensive the scotch was. I asked her where she had got it. By this time we were half done with the bottle. She told me that she had stolen it from her brother. I went into a panic, I told her she should not have done this and she told me to hush that she would have it replaced before he even knew about it. I told her that I felt bad for drinking it and I would help her pay for half of it.
She stood up and said where is the hoe, I told her there was one in the back of the truck so I went and pulled the truck closer to the flower bed and we started cleaning it out. We could not stop laughing because she had stolen the scotch. We ended up finishing the bottle off and we were both tipsy and began to feel so guilty. We would take breaks and lay on the ground in the warm sunshine. We had been cooped up pretty much all winter. Tina would always drink more than me and we never got out of hand when we were together. It was almost as if we were looking out for each other. By this time of year we had gotten pretty close and I could not imagine getting any closer but sure enough we had a few more days like this and had a true blast every time. Tina was so proud of her flower bed, she placed lots of flowers in it and kept it cleaned out that year. We had become practically twins by this time of year, everything we did we did it together. Flowers was just one of our favorites of many things that we did. I plan to keep that flower bed cleaned up and allow the flowers she planted to grow every year. She placed them where she wanted them and it was so beautiful. It was a team effort in the beginning because I had already put some flowers in the bed but she agreed with their placement so she left them as is. She was so proud when her mom gave her some pink flowers to go in her bed. I didn't realize it at that moment but she had beat her addiction for the time being. It was filled with good and happy times. I am so proud to know that she began to overcome many of her past trials. She began to forget the bad things that happened to her. Once we made it through the Stories of our past it was pure sunshine from there.


No comments:

Post a Comment